Community Modeling and Analysis System

CMAS Training - Visa Information

B-1, B2, WB, WT Occasional International Visitor

International visitors are often invited by UNC departments to participate in academic activities for brief visits. Such international visitors sometimes travel to the United States in either a B-1 (Visitor for Business) or B-2 (Visitor for Tourism) classification.

Nationals of certain countries are waived by the US Department of State from obtaining a B-1 or B-2 Visitor Visa to enter the United States for short visits. Nationals from 27 countries can enter the US with a valid passport and obtain WB (Visa Waiver for business) or WT (Visa Waiver for Tourism) status at a US port of entry. (Please see the U.S. State Department's website on the Visa Waiver Program at: ).

The host department is strongly advised to send a formal letter of invitation to the international visitor outlining the terms of the academic activities to assist the international visitor with his/her application for a non-immigrant visa at a US Embassy or Consulate.

If you need an invitation letter for a visa, please email to request one. Please include your mailing address as you would like it to appear on the letter.